Saturday, May 27, 2017
   
Text Size
Banner

Site Search

The Founders

The Museum’s owners, Colin and Esma Stevenson, never meant to start a museum at all. It began as Colin’s hobby—which just kept on growing. With Esma busy rearing three young children, Colin purchased the  Fowler traction   engine in 1963

 

Colin was born in P.N. and has lived all his life in Tokomaru. Grandfather Stevenson settled in Tokomaru in 1897 as the local blacksmith.  When he retired at 45 his two sons Charles and Alan bought the business.  Those 2 sons sold out to Colin and Rob. The business was divided into 2 companies. One becoming the very successful Stevensons Structural Engineers,the other Tokomaru Springs and Engineering Co. which Colin owns and his love of machinery and maintenance followed into the establishment of the  Tokomaru Steam Engine Museum.
In1955 he married Esma Hodges in Wellingon and that partnership is still going strong.
In 2000 Colin was awarded the QSM for services to community and tourism

 

Login Form